Saturday, January 16, 2010

Veggie Bean Burgers




Although I'm not a could never be a vegan and am not vegetarian (though I have been in the past), I'm a big fan of vegetarian substitutes like Boca Burgers and Morningstar Farms products, in particular Morningstar Farms black bean burgers. I came across this super-healthy recipe in The Joy of Cooking and thought I'd give it a try.

I opted to use black beans, since they are my favorite of the possible beans listed in the recipe, and I always have them on hand. While the flavor of these burgers is excellent in my opinion, they fall apart fairly easily. If I  make them again, I may add an egg to help hold all the ingredients together. Next time I think I may add water chestnuts, possibly in place of the mushrooms, for some crunch. I served the burgers on Quick Wheat Hamburger Buns.

Veggie Bean Burgers
from The Joy of Cooking

makes 6 burgers

2 t. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. grated carrots
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
Two 15.5-ounce cans black, pinto, kidney, or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 T. Dijon mustard
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. ketchup
2 T. minced parsley
1.5 c. cooked brown rice
1 c. chopped mushrooms (optional)
Salt
Pepper
Ground red pepper (optional)
1 t. vegetable oil

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking and stirring until softened. Add carrots, chili powder, and cumin and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.


2. Mash beans, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, ketchup, and parsley in a large bowl. Stir in the vegetable mixture. Add brown rice and mushrooms (if desired) and mix well. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper (if desired).

3. Form the mixture into six 3- to 4-inch patties. Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet and cook burgers over medium-low heat for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp.



No comments:

Post a Comment