Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Barbecue Pork with Mop Sauce


In my opinion, Famous Dave's is one of the best restaurants out there, even if many purists may argue it's fast food barbecue. For the same reason, Hereford House in Kansas City is one of my favorite restaurants of all time. At Famous Dave's, one of my favorites is the Georgia Chopped Pork, so I'm always up to try recipes of that sort. This recipe comes from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, although I did modify it a little bit. While I'm never going to measure my meals in points or participate in public weigh-ins, I do like to cook healthy meals and I'm not sorry I picked this up cheap at Sam's Club.

I served my barbecue pork over a modified version of French Bread where I substituted whole wheat flour for a portion of the all-purpose flour.

Barbecue Pork with Mop Sauce
adapted from The Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook

2 T. packed dark brown sugar
1 T. paprika
1 T. chili powder
1.5 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1.5 lbs lean pork chops or pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
2/3 c. ketchup
1/2 c. cider vinegar
2 T. molasses
2 t. Worcestershire sauce

1. To prepare the spice rub, combine the brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Rub half the mixture all over the pork and let stand 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, to prepare the sauce, combine the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl.

3. Rub the pork with the remaining spice rub and cook (I grilled my chops on the George Foreman grill) until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes before thinly slicing or chopped into small pieces.

4. Place chopped pork in a skillet and pour sauce over meat. Cook over medium heat until sauce is warm and reduced to desired consistency. Serve immediately over bread or rolls or let simmer over low heat until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment