Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup


For the next couple of months, my recipe inspirations are going to come from what I receive in my winter CSA boxes. Among many other greens, I received a beautiful bunch of kale. I've only cooked kale myself a couple of times, but kale and white bean soup had been on my list of things to try for a while. I also got carrots, garlic, and onions in my plentiful share and this soup allowed me to put a lot of my produce to good use. This soup isn't a show-stopper, but it's a satisfying and healthy dinner that can be easily put together quickly on a weeknight or weekend. Although the beans are plenty filling, carnivores may want to add some feta and spinach chicken sausage or Italian sausage for an evening heartier meal; those who like things spicy might also want to add some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.

Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup
adapted from Whole Foods
serves 4

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 (32-ounce) box low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups packed chopped kale
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 t. kosher salt or to taste*
Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots, cover, and bring to a slow boil. Cook 5 to 10 minutes or until kale and carrots are tender**. Add beans and heat through. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve hot with a piece of crusty bread for dipping.

 

*This will vary depending on how much your canned tomatoes or beans were salted  (if at all) and how salty the vegetable broth is. I use no-salt-added vegetables when I can and low-sodium broth because I prefer to adjust the salt level myself.

**This time will vary quite a bit depending on how if you are using young or mature kale, and how large your carrots slices are.

2 comments:

  1. It's just like ribollita without the bread, here in Tuscany we place dry-stale bread inside the soup and cook it together!
    fresh and healthy in both cases - love this background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope to try it this week... perfect for winter weather. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete