Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole


When I first saw this recipe I couldn't decide if it was too simple to be good, or too simple not to be. With a fridge full of farmer's market organic zucchini and farmer cheese, bought right from the people who made it, I decided it couldn't miss. Plus, if there's good cheese involved, there's a good chance I'll like it. Plus, although I can't remember eating a cracker in months, I seem to have quite the cache of crackers in the cabinet-Club, Wheat Tins, Triscuits, Kashi TLC crackers-and it was time I used some up. I will admit that the prep work did take a bit of time, and I was a little doubtful that it was going to be worth it when I put it into the oven, but when it came out all melty with a crunchy, browned crust all my doubts melted away. It's not the world's most complex dish, but it is tasty, satisfying Midwestern comfort food that I'll gladly find on my plate (almost) any day of the week.

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
adapted from Food and Wine
serves 8

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 melted
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds), diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups finely crushed Club (or other delicious) crackers
1 c. farmer cheese, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the vegetable oil. Add the chopped zucchini and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Remove the zucchini and onion from the heat and let cool slightly.

2. In a medium bowl, stir the cracker crumbs with the farmer cheese. Stir half of the mixture into the zucchini and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the beaten eggs. Spread the remaining cracker crumb and farmer cheese mixture on top of the zucchini. Drizzle the casserole with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp on top. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, then serve warm.

Make ahead: The zucchini casserole can be prepared earlier in the day and reheated in a 350° oven.

2 comments:

  1. I made this casserole tonite for our dinner.....we loved it!.....gonna keep making it as we love a good casserole and our cheese!.....thanks for sharing it on here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little helpful hint... After scouring 3 different stores for "farmer's cheese" I was informed that it is also called "Queso Fresca" :0)

    ReplyDelete