Monday, November 29, 2010

Cranberry Turkey Nachos


While I always have a piece of turkey at Thanksgiving dinner, I'm actually a way bigger fan turkey as leftovers. I always have cold turkey sandwiches and maybe make some soup or casserole, but decided to get a little more creative this year with part of the leftovers. Continuing the tradition my dad and I started when I was a very little girl, I have a Packer snack with each Packer game, the first bite of which must be taken when the kicker's foot hits the ball on the initial kickoff. (Yes, I do enforce this rule, sometimes much to the dismay of those watching the game with me). With Thanksgiving leftovers I couldn't justify buying something for a Packer snack, so I needed to make something special with the leftover turkey. My first thought was nachos since I had tortilla chips, onions, salsa, and (plentiful) cheese, but then the creative juices started flowing and I came up with these cranberry turkey nachos. Cranberries and turkey go perfectly together and I'm a huge fan of Muenster and red onion grilled cheese sandwiches, so throwing those ingredients together with some sour cream and a tiny punch of horseradish was easy. If you're in the mood for conventional nachos this isn't likely to satisfy your craving, but are immensely satisfying if you're looking for something a bit different, and all of your taste buds with savory, sweet, tart, and tangy flavors. Not in the mood for nachos? This would also make a fantastic panini.

Cranberry Turkey Nachos
serves 1-2

1/2 c. coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
1 t. sugar (or to taste)
1/2 cup chopped cooked turkey
1/4 c. finely diced red onion
1/4 c. low fat sour cream
1/2 t. prepared horseradish
1/4 c. shredded Muenster cheese (or another good melting cheese)
1.5 oz. thick tortilla chips (I really like Frontera)

1. Toss chopped cranberries and sugar in a small bowl. Taste one the cranberries and add more sugar if needed. Set aside and allow to macerate while you prepare the other ingredients.

2. Combine turkey, onion, sour cream, and horseradish in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Add the cranberries and stir until everything is evenly distributed.

3. Place tortilla chips on a plate or serving dish and top with the turkey mixture. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top and melt either under the broiler (make sure you are using an oven safe dish) or in the microwave. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment