Friday, November 12, 2010

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Hash


I bought Moosewood Restaurant New Classics last week and I already at least a dozen recipes I bookmarked to try. The Moosewood Collective is a respected source of vegetarian recipes and I've gotten many delicious and healthy recipes from another Moosewood cookbook I bought at least five years ago. With the bounty of produce in my life since getting my first CSA delivery, I seized the opportunity to justify buying yet another cookbook to add to my ever-growing culinary library.

I love sweet potatoes, but I mostly eat them baked, mashed, and made into fries, although I also have made soup, but I was looking for something different from the mashed potatoes recipes I've tried so far. This dish is packed with vegetables and flavor, not to mention extremely healthy. I topped my hash with some Frontera Double Roasted Tomato salsa, but sour cream and shredded cheese would be delicious accoutrements as well.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Hash
from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
6 cups peeled diced sweet potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
1 jalapeno, minced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen corn kernels (or mixed corn and green peppers)
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15-ounce can, drained)
splash of water or orange juice (optional)
dash of salt
cayenne or hot pepper sauce (optional)

minced scallions or chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream (optional)

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep, nonstick skillet. Add the onions and saute on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. Stir in the garlic, cook for a few seconds, then add the sweet potatoes. Cover the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Add the jalapeno, coriander, cumin, and salt; then use a spatula to turn the potatoes, cover, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the corn and black beans, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. If the potatoes are still too firm, add a little water or orange juice, cover, and cook on low heat until the potatoes are tender. Add the salt and stir in cayenne or hot pepper sauce to taste.

3. Serve topped with minced scallions or chopped cilantro and, if you like, a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment