Thursday, April 29, 2010

Falafel Patty Melt


In my quest to find more vegetarian meals, I tried out this recipe from the current issue of Better Homes and Gardens. I didn't see the need to heat up the oven just to melt cheese on the bread before adding the falafel patties, so I just melted the cheese on the patties in the frying pan. I also added some delicious cremini mushrooms from the farmer's market instead of the tomatoes suggested in BH&G (anyone who knows me can speak to how much I detest raw tomatoes). This is an easy, healthy recipe that I would be an excellent substitute for a meat dish for dinner.

Falafel Patty Melt
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, May 2010

1/2 c. frozen peas
One 16-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. olive oil
8 slices dilled Havarti cheese (4 to 6 oz.)
4 flatbreads or pita bread
Romaine leaves and sliced mushrooms (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place peas in a 1-quart microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on 100% power (high) 2 minutes. In food processor bowl or with an immersion blender, puree garbanzo beans, carrot, flour, 1 T. of the olive oil, 1/2 t. pepper, and 1/4 t. salt. Stir in peas. Form mixture into 4 patties.

2. Heat remaining oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.

3. Once browned, place 1 slice of cheese on top of each patty in frying pan and heat until the cheese melts, a few minutes. Place in pitas or flatbread and top with lettuce and sliced mushrooms.

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe looks delicious. It reminds me of a vegetarian patty that I used to make. I love Falafel and have made that as well.

    I love to cook. if you are looking for vegetarian recipes, do check out my website where I have lots of recipes.
    I have different sections, one of which is Recipe Net. These are recipes from family and friends who contribute recipes that they like. A few of them as well as one chili recipe is non-veg. Do take a look.
    The link is:
    http://vegetarian-recipes.qualitylivingstyles.com/vegetarian-recipes.html


    The website has several other articles as it is a resource site for quality living.

    ReplyDelete