Monday, April 19, 2010

Portabella Mushroom Melts


In general, I'm not a fan of recipes for sandwiches. Do people really need instructions on what to put on bread? Occasionally I'll come across a worthwhile sandwich recipe, but most of the time they just seem obvious. Even though it's not something I'd normally do, I'm presenting a sandwich recipe today because it's true to the way I'm approaching food right now. First of all, it's a vegetarian meal. I'm really trying to cut down on my meat consumption, both for health and because of the environmental impact. I'm also trying harder to embrace local products (again for health and the environmental impact); the mushrooms, bread, spinach, and cheese all came from the farmer's market. I am fortunate to live in Madison, home of the country's largest producer-only farmer's market, so I am never at a loss for local ingredients. Now that the farmer's market is back outside for the summer (and thus much larger than the indoor winter farmer's market), much of my cooking inspiration will come directly from what I find at the farmer's market each week. In addition to being healthier and better for the environment, food from the farmer's market just tastes better and I feel good supporting my local economy. I can't begin to say how much I missed the Dane Country Farmer's Market during my years in Iowa.

I don't have any specific measurements in this recipe other than two mushrooms, because the perfect sandwich is different for each person. I say throw whatever veggies like and have in the fridge on the sandwich and top with your favorite cheese and condiments. Who can go wrong with good bread, a pile of veggies, and a delicious cheese?


Portabella Mushroom Melts
serves 2

Four slices good quality bread (I used caraway rye from Cress Spring Bakery)
Butter or olive oil
Mayo or Miracle Whip
Two whole portabella mushrooms, thoroughly washed with stems removed
Green peppers, thinly sliced
Red onions, thinly sliced
Spinach, washed
Sliced cheese (I used raw milk cheese; swiss or white cheddar would also be good)

1. Preheat broiler. Spread butter or oil over the bread and toast under the broiler until the bread is golden brown, a few minutes. Remove bread from oven and spread with mayo.

2. Place mushrooms on bread and top with desired vegetables and cheese. Put back under broiler until cheese is melted, a few minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment