Saturday, April 10, 2010

Classic Hummus


Hummus is my dip of choice for veggies. Ranch dressing and sour cream-based dips are good, don't get me wrong, but hummus is so much healthier and has a much more interesting flavor. It's so simple that I thought it was about time to try making it myself. I also got a new KitchenAid food processor last week and this is a great recipe to test it out. Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite, but I always like to start with the basics. This recipe couldn't be easier, so there's really no excuse to buy it from the store anymore.

This hummus is a little thinner than I like; next time I'll probably use 3/8 cup of olive oil instead of the full 1/2 cup. This is a recipe where the flavor of the olive oil really comes through, so don't skimp on quality. Tahini (sesame seed paste) should be available in the ethnic food section of most grocery stores. It is somewhat expensive, but it doesn't take very much to add that wonderful sesame flavor. In the future I plan on adding other ingredients like roasted red peppers or olives to make the hummus a little more interesting.

Classic Hummus
from Food and Wine

1 c. cooked chickpeas, drained
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 T. tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper


1. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, garlic, tahini and lemon juice. Gradually add the olive oil until incorporated. Season the hummus with salt and pepper and scrape it into a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve or use.

No comments:

Post a Comment