Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Seasoned Salt


Tonight our dinner was nearly completely local, which I'm rather proud of. I was able to make a meat-and-potatoes dinner that is my husband's favorite kind of meal from nearly total local sources. We had cheeseburgers made with organic, grass-fed ground beef from Grassy Way Organics with local Hook's smoked cheddar cheese, local greens and tomatoes from the farmer's market on whole-wheat buns from Clasen's Bakery (which is right to where I work) and roasted fingerling potatoes (from the farmer's market). Although I don't know where the bakery gets its ingredients (and they're probably not local) and our condiments were not local, I feel pretty good about what I put together for dinner.


If you are able to spend the money, I highly recommend spending the extra money for grass-fed beef. Grass-fed meat tastes...well, more meaty. I was able to buy two pounds of grass fed beef for only $4/pound at the farmer's market. I wasn't quite ready to spend $17.50/lb for steak, so I started with a something very affordable. I'd rather spend more money for a small amount of really high-quality local meat than have unlimited cheap ground beef and factory farm chicken breasts.
  
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Seasoned Salt
from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics

A copper gratin dish or cast-iron skillet is ideal for roasting potatoes, but a rimmed baking sheet works equally well. To ensure the potatoes cook evenly, slice larger ones in half lengthwise and leave smaller ones whole.

2 t. coarse salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
1/4 t. finely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 t. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1.5 lbs. fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a large oven proof gratin dish or skillet in the oven 15 minutes. Combine the salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary in a small bowl.

2. Toss the potatoes in a medium bowl with the olive oil. Sprinkle generously with the seasoned salt mixture, and arrange the potatoes in a single layer in the preheated pan. Roast until they are golden on the outside and tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve hot with additional seasoned salt on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment