Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rhubarb Strawberry Pudding Cake


One of my husband's coworkers and his wife live near Warner Park and invited us over for a cookout tonight and to watch the fireworks (Rhythm and Booms, the Midwest's largest fireworks display). I was trying to decide if I should bring a side or a dessert and after probably far too much thought, decided I would bring a dessert. I knew I wanted to make a fruit dessert using produce from the farmer's market and after much searching, I found this simple gem of a recipe. When I'm bringing food to other people I tend to shy away from the atypical ingredients I would use in my own cooking, like grains that many people aren't familiar with or have never used, so many of the dessert recipes I have in my queue aren't appropriate. This simple recipe features gorgeous farmer's market produce set in a simple, but tasty cake that appeals to a wide range of people.

Rhubarb Strawberry Pudding Cake
from Gourmet

1/4 c. water
1 1/2 t. cornstarch
1/3 c. plus 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. chopped fresh rhubarb stalks (10 oz.)
1 c. chopped fresh strawberries (5 oz.)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 large egg
1/2 c. whole milk
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 t. pure vanilla extract


1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish.

2. Stir together water, cornstarch, and 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan, then stir in rhubarb. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in strawberries.

3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Whisk together egg, milk, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

4. Reserve 1/2 cup fruit mixture, then add remainder to baking dish and pour batter over it, spreading evenly. Drizzle reserved 1/2 cup fruit mixture over batter. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake portion comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, this looks YUMMMMY! I randomly stumbled upon yer blog from facebook, I'll have to check it out in the future for awesome food ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make and serve this tonight - looks lovely. Fingers crossed! Can I make it ahead - i.e. now (five hours before serving)?

    ReplyDelete