Thursday, July 22, 2010

Orzo with Peas and Bacon


A combination of being gone last weekend and a really busy week has left me with little time to cook for dinner (and less fresh vegetables than I'd like since I didn't go to the farmer's market last weekend). I threw this flavorful dish together quickly using ingredients I already had on hand and wanted to use up. It's delicious warm, but also pretty good cold the next day if you don't have access to a microwave to heat up your lunch.

Orzo with Peas and Bacon

serves 4

4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (preferably smoked)
8 oz. whole wheat orzo
1/2 c. chopped white onion
1 c. shelled green peas fresh or frozen, thawed (I had some left I'd frozen from the farmer's market)
Freshly ground salt and pepper
1/4 c. shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add bacon pieces. Once the bacon has started to render some fat, add the chopped onion and cook until bacon is crisp and onion is browned and tender.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted to water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just shy of al dente, around 7 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 T. of the pasta water, and set aside.

3. Add peas to bacon and onions, cook 1 minute. Add orzo and pasta water and toss mixture well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment