Sunday, January 12, 2014

Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili


If I had one complaint about my wonderful winter CSA from Crossroads Community Farm, it would be that it leads me to eat way more potatoes than I ordinarily would. I can't bear the thought of wasting any of that delicious organic produce, so I cook up every one an but after I'm done, I find myself craving sweet potatoes, which had a much more modest presence in my CSA box. Even barring any nutritional considerations, I'll pick the sweet potato option over the regular potato option any day.

A hearty bowl of Black Bean, Quinoa, and Spinach Stew on New Year's Day definitely whetted my appetite for the black bean and quinoa pairing and I can't turn down the perfect combination of black beans and sweet potatoes. This chili is the perfect blending of those happy pairs, with all of the spicy, hearty goodness of the traditional bean and meat varieties, and the added nutrition and flavor of sweet potatoes and quinoa. Chili con carne it's not, but this vegetarian delight will fill your belly just as well, especially when served with a hearty piece of corn bread. To save some of this satisfying meal for a rainy (or should I say snowy?) day, portion and store any leftovers in the freezer.

Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili
adapted from The Kitchn
serves 4-6

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1 /2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 chipotle chile from canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons kosher salt + more to taste
1 1 /2 cups sweet potatoes (2-3 small), cut into 1 /2-inch cubes
1 /4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock or water
2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
Sour cream or yogurt, to top (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese, to top (optional)
Green onions, chopped, to top (optional)
Fresh cilantro, chopped, to top (optional)

1. Heat the oil in heavy large pot ov er medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and coriander and stir. Cook together for 1 minute.

2. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, beans, chipotle pepper, oregano, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and broth and bring mixture to a boil. Place the pot's lid back on slightly ajar and allow to simmer on low heat until the beans are soft and the sweet potatoes and quinoa are just cooked through, adding more water or broth as necessary if the chili becomes too thick. Just before the quinoa and sweet potatoes are done, add beans and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot with your choice of toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment