Thursday, June 24, 2010

Progressive Nut Chopper

I use nuts quite a bit in baking and cooking and usually purchase them in whole in multi-pound bags. While economical, this can lead to a large time investment chopping them for individual recipes. I recently picked up a gadget that significantly cuts down on prep time, the Progressive Nut Chopper.
I picked this gadget up quite a few weeks ago at Orange Tree Imports, but didn't get around to using it until I made Zucchini Bread, which required 1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts. (It also came in quite handy for Sugar Snap Peas with Walnuts and Feta). It took less than a minute to chop the nuts I needed for the recipe. Just drop the nuts in the top and turn the handle clockwise or counterclockwise (depending on if you want a fine or coarse chop) until you have the desired amount in the measuring cup reservoir. The grinder top unscrews from the measuring cup reservoir to remove add the chopped nuts to your recipe. I only wish I had bought this much sooner! I can't speak to it's durability yet, but for only $7.56 on Amazon (I paid a bit more at Orange Tree Imports), it will pay for itself quickly considering the significant difference between the price of chopped and whole nuts in the baking aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment