Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pork and Sauerkraut Melt

Despite my German heritage and growing up in Wisconsin, I wasn't always on board with sauerkraut. If you fed my 10-year-old self a bratwurst I'd scarf it down, but I'd turn up my nose at the mounds of sauerkraut so many people love. Now I can't get enough of the stuff, piling it high on my brats with coarse mustard and raw onions. Despite a deep and profound love for that combination now, my gateway drug to sauerkraut was actually the Reuben. This sandwich lies somewhere in between, the porky goodness of bratwurst combining with the cheesy, melty deliciousness of a Reuben. I love how each layer of this sandwich provides a distinct culinary experience. It starts with hearty bread and travels through sharp mustard, rich cheese, sour kraut, lean but succulent pork, book-ended with another crusty bite of bread. It satisfies in much the same way as my Bacon Kraut Burger, but in lighter fashion, and is a great way to use up the bag you may have cracked open for that recipes. Hearty enough to comfort, but restrained enough for summer fare, this sandwich is the perfect meal to leisurely nibble on the patio, each taste washed down with a sip of cold beer.

Pork and Sauerkraut Melt
serves 1

2 thin pork cutlets, about 4 ounces total
2 slices whole or multi grain bread
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1/4 cup sauerkraut, drained
1 ounce sharp or smoked cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced

1. Preheat a pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add pork cutlets, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once until pork is cooking through, about 4 to 5 minutes total.

2. Meanwhile, spread one slice of bread with mustard. When cutlets are cooked, remove from pan and place on the second slice of bread. Top with sauerkraut, cheese, and first slice of bread.

3. Wipe out pan, if necessary, and return to heat. Spray pan with cooking spray, add sandwich, and cook, turning once, until bread is browned and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and serve promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment