Monday, March 7, 2011

Shredded Carrot Salad with Cilantro Dressing


I decided to try out this recipe because one, I really loved the other shredded carrot salad I tried from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook, and two, I spent so much time thinking about my gyro recipe that I totally forgot to find a side to serve with it. (It also didn't hurt that I still had cilantro leftover from making Chickpeas in Spicy Tomato Gravy). I eat tons of fresh green salads, and I admit that it would probably do me some good to change it up a little bit and try something different. Shredded carrot salads offer all the satisfying crunch of a green side salad and can hold their own with boldly flavored dressings, which I love. Granted, shredding carrots isn't my favorite culinary task, but it's well worth it to shake up my side dish routine. Lime juice would also work really well in the vinaigrette, making the dressing reminiscent of Thai flavors; if going this route, a splash of soy or tamari would also be a nice addition.

Shredded Carrot Salad with Cilantro Dressing
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
serves 4

2 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots

Cilantro Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Place the carrots in a serving bowl and set aside. With a whisk or in a blender, combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing.  Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss well. Serve lightly chilled or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment