Saturday, March 12, 2011

Baked Steel Cut Oats with Apples and Currants


The piles of snow are slowly fading away and the sunrise is bleeding into my early morning walks with the dog, so I finally feel like spring is truly on the way. While I'm anxious for warm weather and the reappearance of lush green foliage, I'm not quite ready to let go of my winter weekend breakfast staple, baked steel cut oats. When rearranging my baking supply cupboard I came across a big bag of organic currants that I forgot I purchased a while back. I tossed them in my old-fashioned oats this and on top of my yogurt and granola, but I was most anxious to put them in my steel-cut oats when the weekend arrived. You could substitute raisins, although I don't think they'd be quite as good, and top with some toasted chopped walnuts (or other nuts), but I like the simplicity of steel-cut oats, fruit, with a touch of maple syrup. Starting the day off with a delicious healthy breakfast like this one gives me the energy to get all my weekend errands and chores done and just generally makes me happy and optimistic for the day ahead. I never understand how people skip breakfast on a regular basis (I can't even make it to lunch without a morning snack) because it's how I start my day off on the right foot. So pop these steel cut oats in the oven, linger over the paper with a hot cup of coffee, and get ready to start the weekend!
 
Baked Steel Cut Oats with Apples and Currants

serves 1

1 small apple, diced
2 tablespoons currants
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place diced apple and currants in the bottom of an individual-sized oven proof dish.

2. Pour steel cut oats over the fruit, then add milk and bake for 30 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment