Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sweet Potatoes and Apples


Sweet potatoes were only $0.40/lb the week of Thanksgiving, so I bought a couple bags to cook myself once the family Thanksgiving celebrations were over. I really like sweet potatoes, but I want to broaden my horizons beyond covering them in butter and marshmallows.

Next time I might try using maple syrup in place of brown sugar because I love anything with a maple flavor and I make my candied sweet potatoes using real maple syrup. I also thinking I'll throw in some walnuts or pecans for crunch and heart-healthy omega-3s.

Sweet Potatoes and Apples
from The Joy of Cooking

6 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 to 2 cups thinly sliced all-purpose apples
Fresh lemon juice (optional; use on apples that are not tart)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
Dash of ground cinnamon or grated lemon zest
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

1. Cook, covered, the sweet potatoes in boiling water until nearly done; drain. Once cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
2. Meanwhile, cook, covered, the apples in very little boiling water until nearly tender; drain. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. If the apples are not tart, sprinkle them with lemon juice.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and place in it alternating layers of apples and sweet potatoes, sprinkling each layer with a portion of brown sugar, cinnamon and/or raisins and pecans if desired.
4. Dot the top with butter. Pour reserved apple cooking liquid or 1/2 cup water over the top.
5. Cover and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment