Friday, December 4, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches


Traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu is a boneless, skinless chicken breast is pounded thin and rolled around ham and cheese, then breaded and either fried or baked, very similar to Chicken Kiev. As you can imagine, these are both quite fatty and indulgent dishes. My sandwich version is by no means a health food, but it's not breaded or friend, and doesn't have any butter unless you want to toast the bread. My personal choices for condiments are Light Miracle Whip and some kind of spicy or tangy mustard, but I'm sure there are many other excellent choices out there I haven't tried yet. As far as veggies, I usually add lettuce, but tomatoes, onions, and peppers could also make great additions if you like them. I despise raw tomatoes and won't eat anything with them.

Half of the sandwich pictured was one serving for me. If you have something as a side you'll probably only eat half, unless you're really hungry.

There's no cookbook credit for this recipe, as I came up with it myself, but I'm sure there are many similar recipes out there.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches

1 recipe French Bread or other bread or rolls
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices deli ham (I used honey ham; you may want to use more if your ham is really thin)
2 slices cheese (I used provolone; Swiss is another favorite)
Mayo or Miracle Whip (I used Light Miracle Whip)
Spicy mustard (I usually use spicy brown mustard, but used Wollersheim Winery wine mustard this time)
Lettuce, or other vegetables if desired

1. Slice the bread to an appropriate size for the chicken breasts you are using. I cut the bread once horizontally and then sliced it length-wise into appropriately sized pieces. Butter and toast the bread under the broiler if desired. Spread bread with your favorite condiments (you could also add these at the very end).

2. Meanwhile, grill the chicken breasts (I used the George Foreman). Alternatively, you could bread and fry them if you want something a little closer to the original dish, but this is obviously less healthy.

3. Place the cooked chicken on a slice of bread. Add two slices of ham and one slice of cheese. Put under the broiler until the ham is warm and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Add lettuce and any other veggies if desired. Top with the other slice of bread and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment