Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Cheesy" Kale Chips


I know kale chips have become quite popular in recent years, and as much as I like to buck the trends sometimes, I have to admit that they are damn tasty. So tasty in fact, that companies think they can charge $6 for a 2 ounce bag! Granted, these commercial varieties are usually dressed up with a delicious seasoning and I make the simple olive oil, salt, and pepper variety, but that price tag is just ridiculous. Commercial kale chips are also never going to be as good as the ones you make yourself, so I decided to take on the modest challenge of dressing mine up a bit.

Nutritional yeast is one of those "hippie" ingredients I've heard about for eons, often as a popcorn topping, but never used myself. I'm vehemently opposed to fake cheese or cheese substitutes of any kind, so perhaps it was the perpetual "cheesy" description that put me off. Once I got around to trying it out myself, I had to admit it is kind of accurate (if you're a vegan, this is probably as close to cheese flavor as you're going to get). I more think of it as adding a concentrated savoriness, and a subtle dusting make these chips feel like super-healthy Doritos instead of super-healthy potato chips. And who can't use an extra boost of B-vitamins? My omnivorous diet may not leave me lacking in those vital nutrients, but I'll certainly take an extra energy boost wherever I can get it. A recipe like this almost makes me feel like a Portlandia-esque parody, but as long as I'm not ironically enjoying these kale chips, I think I'm in the clear.

"Cheesy" Kale Chips
serves 1

2 ounces baby kale leaves (or mature kale, cut into small pieces), washed
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a cookie sheet.

2. Toss kale with olive oil and salt in a large bowl and spread in an even layer on the cookie sheet. Roast, turning frequently, until leave are crispy have a touch of browning around the edges, about 22 to27 minutes.

3. Remove kale from the cookie sheet and return to bowl. While kale is warm, add nutritional yeast and toss gently to coat. Serve promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment