Thursday, August 29, 2013

Creamy Red Potato Salad


I can't believe we're already at summer's end. While I am anxious to transition into fall, my favorite season, Labor Day weekend is one last chance to enjoy the trappings of summer. There are many foods I rarely eat if not at a backyard barbecue or picnic, potato salad being one of them. The last time I was struck by a craving I was dining solo, so I decided to create a single-serving recipe. I really enjoy experimenting with recipes on the single serving scale, which gives me the opportunity to adjust the balance of flavors many times before presenting my newest creation to a crowd (though I'll do a bit of tweaking at that scale too). Most of the time I gravitate towards the vinegary potato salads instead of the heavy, creamy variety, but this simple dressing strikes a nice balance between the two. A generous helping of fresh herbs helps give the potato salad a lighter feel, and nearly any one you love will do, with dill being my personal favorite. There's no reason to skip this starchy delight when you're dining alone, a perfect partner to a meaty meal off the grill or a towering sandwich from the deli.

Creamy Red Potato Salad
serves 1

6 ounces baby red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 1/2 tablespoons light or regular mayo (or sour cream or yogurt)
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped herbs (dill, chives, parsley, etc.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together mayo, mustard, vinegar, and herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add hot potatoes to mayo mixture and toss to coat evenly. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment