Sunday, June 24, 2012

Apple and Onion Fried Wild Rice

When I'm just tasked with feeding myself, fried rice is one of my go-to meals. A batch of rice can happily cook in my rice cooker while I'm chopping up whatever veggies happen to be lingering the fridge, and once all the prep work is done, it takes just a few minutes to whip up a big bowl of mock take-out deliciousness. The last time I went to whip up a batch I happened to have wild rice instead of my usual brown and I thought that this special ingredient warranted a little extra creativity. Wild rice always feels reminiscent of the harvest to me, which led me a naturally to apples and onions, both constants in my fridge. The sweetness of the apples and onions plays beautifully with nutty wild rice, all melded together with a rich coating of soy sauce-infused egg. I punched up my bowl of fried rice with a shot of Sriracha because I love heat, but it's still delightful in it's milder form. I was quite pleased with my first go-around with this recipe, but next time I may venture a little closer to tradition by using sesame oil instead of canola and adding ginger and garlic and see how well Asian flavors will meld with harvest flavors. Even if you're not interesting in trying this particular non-traditional variation on fried rice, I hope it at least inspires you to use fried rice as a palette for new creative combinations of your favorite ingredients.

Apple and Onion Fried Wild Rice
serves 1

2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, plus additional for serving
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup diced apple
1 cup cooked wild or brown rice(or blend)
Sriracha or other hot sauce, for serving (optional)

1. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and soy sauce together. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium-high to high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and a bit browned, 1 to 3 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring frequently until the apples and onions are browned and softened, but not mushy, 1 to 2 minutes more.

2. Add rice, stir to combine, and cook until rice is heated through, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Clear a well in the center of pan, adding additional oil if necessary to prevent sticking, and add egg-soy mixture to the pan. Stir mixture constantly, coating rice-vegetable mixture with the egg, and cook until egg is set, but not dry, about 1 minute.

3. Remove pan from heat, transfer mixture to a plate or bowl, and serve with additional soy sauce and Sriracha, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment