Sunday, June 17, 2012

Everyday Granola

One of my first culinary priorities once I got my kitchen unpacked in my new house was making granola. I'll confess to buying some commercial granola while in the midst of packing and moving, but I definitely felt a little guilty. It's so easy to make at home and overpriced in the store, that I can rarely justify picking up a bag. Despite an ever-growing list of house projects, I managed to set aside a little time early one Saturday morning a week after we moved in to make up a quick batch using a new recipe. Everyday Granola is the perfect name for this granola. It's a very classic recipe, customizable with any nuts or dried fruits you happen to have around the house, with just the right amount of sweetness and spice for breakfast. The combination of dark brown sugar and honey gives the granola character in addition to sweetness, with the spicy ginger and cinnamon playing perfectly against the sea salt. While I'm always on the search for bold and interesting new flavor combination, I have a great appreciation for solid, dependable recipes like this one that never disappoint and earn a constant place in my pantry. If you're looking to ease your way into making your own granola, this recipe is the perfect first step.

Everyday Granola
adapted from Bon Appetit, via Epicurious
makes about 5 cups

3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup assorted dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc.)

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Stir honey and oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture; toss.

2. Spread on prepared sheet. Bake until golden, stirring every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes. Place sheet on rack. Stir granola; cool. Mix in fruit. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight.

No comments:

Post a Comment