Thursday, October 20, 2011

White Whiskey Punch


I am just as much of a locavore when it comes to my booze as my food. I am a devotee of Wisconsin craft beers, wine, and spirits and I was beyond delighted when I opened up the latest copy of Saveur and found a recipe that specifically mentioned Death's Door White Whisky, a delicious spirit I've had for months, but haven't used all that creatively. (I have also made countless gin and tonics with their exceptional gin). Admittedly, this cocktail is a bit more suited to summer, but each sunny sip is still a delight in this chilly fall weather. This unaged whiskey is perfectly suited to this cocktail, where the clean, smooth flavor of spirit blends seamlessly with the bright, acidic juices; a smoky, aged rye whiskey is better suited to classic cocktails like the Sazerac or Manhattan, or simply savored neat.

I obviously have a voracious appetite for recipes of all sorts, and I have been enjoying my recent exploration of the world of cocktails. Although I pulled this recipe from one of my favorite magazines, Saveur, the book widely-regarded as the Bible of cocktail recipes is The Craft of the Cocktail by Dale Degroff, the essential resource for cocktail novices and professionals alike. If you're enjoying the recipes I've shared during my initial foray into mixology, I highly recommend picking up a copy so you can experiment further.

White Whiskey Punch
from Saveur
makes 1 cocktail

2 oz. white whiskey, such as Death's Door
2 oz. fresh pineapple juice
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. simple syrup
Pineapple wedge, for garnish (optional)

1. Mix whiskey, juices, and syrup in a shaker with ice; shake to chill. Strain into a rocks glass with ice; garnish with pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment