Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Enlightened Traditional Coleslaw


I have a tendency to get obsessed with concepts or ingredients and currently I'm in the midst of a deli-style sandwich tangent. I started by making Reubens, a classic and favorite that I've made many times before (and have also made into a pizza and dip), moving on next to pastrami, piled high on rye bread and blanketed in coleslaw. In my search for a coleslaw recipe worthy of my sandwich, I came across this fresh and tangy coleslaw recipe. While I do enjoy a creamy coleslaw, I often find restaurant coleslaws to just be sad, soggy piles of pale, mayonnaise-soaked cabbage, with perhaps a tiny bit of shredded carrot, and if you're lucky, a bit of black pepper. To balance the pastrami and Swiss cheese I sought a coleslaw that would add new dimensions of flavor and texture instead of just weighing down the sandwich. This recipe fit the bill nicely, with the crunchy vegetables and tangy yogurt-based dressing providing the perfect foil to the rich and savory pastrami and cheese. The dressing is sparing on this coleslaw compared to most, so you may want to increase the amount of dressing for a saucier, chin-dripping coleslaw. This coleslaw was also delicious enough to earn a spot alongside my monster deli sandwich, a refreshing and healthy side that I will happily revisit when next faced with a head of cabbage without a destiny, with, naturally, more experimentation with spices and other veggies.

Enlightened Traditional Coleslaw
adapted slightly from Bon Appetit, via Epicurious
makes 4 servings

1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (from about 1/2 large head)
1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon peel, and celery seeds in large bowl to blend. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Toss before serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment