Saturday, January 1, 2011

Baked Apple and Peanut Butter Steel Cut Oats


I love steel cut oats, but they require significantly more time and effort to prepare than rolled oats or quick oats, so I don't have them very often. (If you've never had steel cut oats before, they are well worth the extra expense over rolled or quick oats.) I've considered making a big batch on the weekend and freezing the rest, but it's just not the same as a steaming bowl of oatmeal fresh off the stove. I was excited to find this recipe because not only was it for individual portions, but it cooks in the oven, freeing me up to make a mocha latte while my breakfast was cooking.

This stick-to-your-ribs breakfast is full of healthy ingredients, but delicious enough that I almost felt like I was getting away with eating a dessert for breakfast. The second I found this recipe my mind already began dreaming up other combinations, so you can be sure you'll see more recipes of this type from me soon. If you've made a New Year's resolution to eat healthier, this is a great recipe to kick off the new year.

Baked Apple and Peanut Butter Steel Cut Oats
from The Tasty Kitchen
serves 1

1/2 whole apple
1/4 cups steel cut oats
1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Cut apple into small pieces and place in the bottom of an individual-sized oven proof dish.

3. Pour steel cut oats over the apple, then pour milk over.
4. Bake for 30 minutes.

5. Remove from the oven and top with peanut butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Awesome. I love steel cut oats.
    You could try some zero calories caramel flavoring...for part of the water and add some ground flax seed.

    ReplyDelete