Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cheddar and Parmesan Tuna Melts


When I started putting this together, I had every intention of making the typical tuna, mayo, and relish tuna salad, topping it with a slice of cheddar, grilling until warm and gooey, and calling it good. But, as happens quite frequently these days, I looked at the other ingredients I had on hand and got inspired to jazz it up just a bit. I've never regretted adding more cheese to a dish, and when I saw the delicious Hook's Parmesan in the fridge I knew it would make the perfect addition, along with a bit of chopped onion. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of creativity and a couple of extra ingredients to take a recipe from ordinary to wonderful.

Cheddar and Parmesan Tuna Melts
serves 2

One 6-ounce can tuna packed in water, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup light mayo
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 whole wheat pitas (or 4 slices of bread)

1. Combine tuna, onion, mayo, and Parmesan in a medium bowl and mix well. Season to taste with pepper (and salt, if desired, though the Parmesan should be plenty salty).

2. Preheat a panini press (I love my Cuisinart Griddler) according to manufacturer's directions (or preheat a large skillet over medium heat). Spread tuna mixture evenly on one pita, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and top with second pita. Grill until tuna mixture is warm and cheese is melted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into quarters and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment