Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Celeriac and Fingerling Potato Mash

When celeriac showed up in my CSA, I didn't have a lot of ideas beyond throwing it a bit pot of soup with lots of other root vegetables. But after I had an absolutely amazing celeriac soup with beef tongue pastrami-Worcestershire ragout, horseradish cream, and chives for the amuse bouche at L'Etoile this past weekend, I felt inspired to step it up a little. I've been really enjoying horseradish lately after making Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish as part of Thanksgiving dinner and this was the perfect opportunity to bring this ingredient into a dish again.

I chose to leave the skins on my potatoes, but you can peel them if you like. I personally like the more rustic texture and taste of the skins, but they're not to everyone's taste. I used fingerling potatoes because they are excellent for mashing, but there are many other varieties that would be excellent like Yukon Golds or red potatoes. Also not for everyone is prepared horseradish, but I think the astringent punch is great against the creamy fingerlings and distinctive celery root flavor. That said, this is dish is also excellent without it.


Celeriac and Fingerling Potato Mash
serves 6 to 8

2 pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered (depending on size)
1 pound celeriac (celery root), peeled and cut into pieces roughly the same size of the potatoes
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk, half-and-half or cream
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and celery root and cook until tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Drain thoroughly, return to pot and mash to desired texture.

2. Add butter, milk and horseradish and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment