Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pesto Chickpea Melt


Remember how I mentioned how I can get obsessed with riffing on one kind of recipe? When it comes to mashed chickpea melts, I'm still at it. Chickpeas are an excellent canvas for all manner of flavors and I've been equally pleased with the way they've played with Indianbarbecue, and now Italian flavors. Last time I was all about barbecue sauce and sharp cheddar cheese and this time I'm all about the pesto and provolone. I spend many an hour working in the kitchen over labor-intensive recipes, but sometimes it's just the punched up quick and easy recipes that really put a bright spot in my (busy) day. When it comes quick recipes like those, prepared shortcut ingredients are your best friend. I'm made both my own barbecue sauces and pestos in the past, but when there isn't time to get Fannie Farmer in the kitchen, a great bottle off the shelf is more than acceptable. The success of this recipe really comes from a happy partnership of sauce and cheese so spending a little extra for some high-quality sauce and cheese is well worth it. Somewhere between comfort food and virtuous grilled cheese, this melt is the perfect way to add a little something special to an ordinary meal.

Pesto Chickpea Melt
serves 1

1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, coarsely mashed
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon mayo
1 tablespoon pesto
Whole grain tortilla, bread, or pita
1 ounce thinly sliced or shredded mozzarella and/or provolone (optional)

1. Mix chickpeas, onion, mayo, and pesto together in small bowl. Spread mixture evenly in center of tortilla, cover with cheese, and roll up tortilla.

2. Preheat a pan over medium heat. Add wrap, seam side down, and cook, flipping once, until filling is warm and cheese is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan, slice in half, and serve promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment