Thursday, July 25, 2013

Easy Shrimp Po' Boy


I'll freely admit most people don't have the obsession with food that I do. I enjoy time-intensive projects and DIY-ing everything I can, but not everyone has the time or inclination for that. But almost everyone has time for a slightly fancy sandwich.

I'll readily admit that I'm using the po' boy moniker pretty liberally. This beloved sandwich has its roots in New Orleans, traditionally consisting of meat or fried seafood, dressed with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and mayo; non-seafood po' boys often have Creole mustard and/or gravy. To simplify the cooking process I've sauteed the shrimp instead of breading and frying it, but it may be considered sacrilege to use this East Coast spice on a deep South dish. Lest you think I've forgotten about the spices of South, I add a little heat to the mayo with Tabasco sauce, and then simply dress with any of the traditional toppings I'm in the mood for (I am not a fan of raw tomatoes). It may not be authentically NOLA, but washed down with a cold Abita I may just be able to close my eyes and hear a little jazz wafting through the warm summer breeze.

Easy Shrimp Po' Boy
serves 1

4 ounces raw large or jumbo shrimp, deshelled and deveined
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Olive or canola oil
Individual French roll, demi baguette, or sub roll, split
1 tablespoon light or regular mayo
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, sliced tomato, and pickles, for serving (optional)

1. Toss the shrimp with Old Bay and set aside. In a small bowl, combine mayo and Tabasco sauce and stir to combine.

2. Preheat broiler and brush each side of the roll with olive oil. Toast under the broiler until golden brown and crunchy, 2 to 4 minutes. Let come to room temperature and spread top half with spicy mayo.

3. Meanwhile, preheat a grill or pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. When oil is hot, add shrimp and cook, turning once, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

4. Place shrimp on top of bottom half of roll, add any additional topping you like, and serve promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment