Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Roasted Salmon, Red Cabbage, and Potatoes


As much I love cooking, some nights I just want a healthy homemade dinner to magically appear in front me. I may not be able to wave a wand and make that happen, but this recipe is pretty close. I love a one pot meal, especially one that requires little attention while it's cooking. I've roasted plenty of salmon and potatoes  before, both separately and together, but I'd honestly never thought of roasting cabbage. As it turns out, cabbage was destined for roasting! I don't know why I'm surprised I've found yet another roasted vegetable I love, but after many raw slaws and tender sautes, I'm particularly delighted by this crispy, crunchy cabbage. A classic combination of mustard, horseradish and lemon becomes a delicious crust atop the salmon with a generous spray of lemon juice popping against the deep roasted flavor all the elements share. This recipe is simple enough for a family meal, yet elegant enough for a last-minute dinner party, mere minutes of prep yielding an inviting meal for any occasion.

Roasted Salmon, Red Cabbage, and Potatoes
adapted from Martha Stewart
serves 4

4 cups shredded red cabbage (from half a small head)
1.5 pounds red or new potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
Extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound skinless salmon fillet
2 tablespoons grainy or Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons horseradish
Zest of 1 lemon plus lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cabbage and potatoes with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes. Smear salmon with a mixture of mustard, horseradish and lemon zest. Nestle in pan, and roast 15 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over all.

No comments:

Post a Comment