Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hummus Kale Chips


It finally feels like I can start planning my garden and it just hit me I need to plant a lot of kale. I have a seemingly bottomless appetite for kale chips and I can't believe it took me this long to dress up the basic recipe. It's true that this recipe isn't much of stretch from a simple roasting with olive oil and salt, but it's certainly delicious enough to be worth sharing. I chose roasted red pepper hummus to dress up my kale chips, but any flavor you like will do, be it homemade or from the store. Kale chips are addictive enough on their own, but this little flavor boost makes it even harder to put them down. It's a perfect example of a snack you realize is healthy after discovering it's delicious, so there's no reason not to snack to your heart's content. Rather than paying an arm and a leg for the now-trendy kale chips at the grocery store, sacrifice just a few minutes and make a batch at home to snack well on the cheap.

Hummus Kale Chips
serves 1 to 2

Canola or oil oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons hummus (I used roasted red pepper hummus)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces kale, washed, dried, and ripped into bite-size pieces

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

2.  In a large bowl, whisk hummus, and oil together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add kale and toss to coat evenly with the hummus  mixture.

3. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally. Raise temperature to 450 degrees F and continue roasting, tossing occasionally, until crisp, about another 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size and type of kale. Serve promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment