Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Roasted Potatoes Colcannon with Eggs


I'm a sucker for nearly any roasted vegetable, but recently I've renewed my love affair with roasted kale. All it takes is heat, olive oil, and salt and pepper to transform that robust green into a delicious salty snack as satisfying as any potato chip. But as much as I've been enjoying the massive piles of roasted kale I've been eating, I wanted to incorporate roasted kale into a more complete dish, instead of just enjoying it on the side.

When my husband is hanging out with the guys and I'm tasked with only feeding myself dinner, occassionally I'll treat myself to some take-out or a meal out, but more often than not I'll still cook myself a nice, balanced (and usually vegetarian) dinner at home. This dish, loosely based on the traditional Irish Potatoes Colcannon, came together when I was using up all the odds and ends of produce I had before my first CSA pick-up, but I was so happy with it that I've already made it again since. Crispy, salty roasted potatoes and kale become absolutely decadent when swirled in a pool of delicious egg yolk from a poached or over-easy egg. Equally appropriate for breakfast or dinner, this dish will comfort you through the cold fall and winter days to come. Want to make it even more savory? Cook up some bacon, toss the kale and potatoes in the bacon fat before roasting, and crumble bacon bits over the top-almost nobody can resist the siren song of bacon. Like it a little spicy? A little dash of Sriracha is the perfect finishing touch.


Roasted Potatoes Colcannon with Eggs
serves 2

1 bunch kale, stems and ribs removed, leaves chopped
8 ounces potatoes, cut into approximately 1/2-inch dice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prepare two baking sheets with cooking spray. Toss kale with 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl, then spread evenly on one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat the process with the potatoes.

2. Place potatoes in the oven on rack in bottom third. After approximately 5 minutes, place the kale in the oven. Roast potatoes and kale, stirring periodically, until kale and potatoes are browned and crispy, about 20 minutes total.

3. Meanwhile, prepare eggs any way you like them (I recommend poached or over-easy). Divide kale between two plates, top each with half of the potatoes, and two of the eggs and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment