Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wasabi Tuna Salad Sandwiches


I've had one of my longest breaks from cooking in a long, long time, as I just spent six glorious days in beautiful San Francisco, consuming vast quantities of delicious food, including lots of exquisite seafood. I make sure to eat fish at least once per week and after this trip, I'm sure my consumption is going to increase, and I also plan on increasing the complexity and variety of the fish recipes in my repertoire. That being said, I came up with this jazzed-up tuna salad recipe before I left for my trip, and it's still worth sharing. There isn't always the time or money for intricate seafood dishes, and this is a great way to perk up your average tuna salad. I adore the assertive taste of wasabi, often applying it liberally when I eat sushi, and paired it with other frequently-used ingredients (cucumber, avocado, and scallions) for this sushi-inspired tuna salad. This definitely is no sushi substitute, but it is a delicious and interesting twist on regular tuna salad for sushi fans and a good way to start introducing people who fear sushi to some of the typical ingredients.

Wasabi Tuna Salad Sandwiches
serves 2

1 tablespoon wasabi powder
1/4 cup mayonnaise
One 5-ounce can tuna, drained
1/4 cup chopped scallions
4 slices whole grain bread
Sliced cucumber and/or avocado, optional

1. Add wasabi powder to a small bowl and add enough water to make a paste. Allow the paste to sit for 10 minutes for flavor to develop, then mix together thoroughly with the mayonnaise.

2. Add tuna, scallions, and wasabi mayo to a large bowl and mix well to combine. Divide evenly between two slices of bread, top with sliced cucumber and/or avocado, if desired and place second slice of bread on top. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment