Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dijon-Roasted Cauliflower


I'm kind of obsessed with roasted cauliflower. This recipe was originally intended as a garnish for Silky Cauliflower Soup, but couldn't resist making it just as a side. I adore the beautiful simplicity of cauliflower roasted with just olive oil and salt, cauliflower is also a great palate for a host of other flavors. After savoring this dish, I'm convinced dijon mustard is the perfect mate to cauliflower. It's hard to believe that the addition of one simple ingredient can elevate this dish so much, but the addition of dijon mustard to roasted cauliflower took it from delicious to absolutely divine. My husband and I both loved it so much that I stopped after the work the next day to buy more cauliflower to make it again. The quality of the dish is highly dependent on the quality of the mustard, so go ahead and spend a few extra bucks and indulge in a good dijon mustard instead of picking up the store brand. Mustard is my condiment of choice for sandwiches, so I was fortunate to have a few great options to choose from. This recipe is destined to become an indispensable and much-loved part of my cooking repertoire-it's simple, healthy, and unbelievably delicious.

Dijon-Roasted Cauliflower
from Food and Wine
makes 8 garnish servings, or 4 side-dish servings

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
One 2-pound head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets

1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, whisk the mustard, oil and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Toss in the cauliflower; spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment