Friday, November 5, 2010

Stir-Fried Bok Choy

I signed up for my first CSA this last month from Primrose Community Farm. I'd been debating doing it for quite some time, but I love going to the farmer's market so much I opted to skip it this summer. This week I received my first delivery, which was quite an impressive box of vegetables. Among the abundant greens was a beautiful head of bok choy. I like bok choy, but haven't cooked with it too much before, mostly in stir-fries. This is quick and simple preparation that showcases the bok choy with classic Asian flavors. The key to cooking bok choy is to cook it to the point where the light parts are crisp-tender, but the dark green parts aren't overcooked and slimy. If you like a bit of heat, top the bok choy with Sriracha or red pepper flakes, but the bok choy is still wonderful without them. I served the bok choy with salmon for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner.

Stir-Fried Bok Choy
adapted from Gourmet, via Epicurious
serves 2

1 head bok choy
1 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sriracha or red pepper flakes, optional

1. Trim bok choy and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In a bowl stir together water and soy and oyster sauces. In a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and stir-fry bok choy with salt 2 minutes. Add soy mixture and stir-fry until bok choy is crisp-tender and sauce thickens a bit, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with Sriracha or red pepper flakes and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment