Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mom's Nutty Granola

Yogurt with granola is one of the staples of my breakfast routine, appearing on my table usually twice a week. While there are countless excellent commercial granolas, I prefer experimenting with my own when I have time, saving money and creating whatever flavor profile I'm in the mood for. This is another recipe that's been lingering in the to-be-published list, but it's probably my favorite granola that I've ever made. A generous helping of varied nuts and seeds (customizable to whatever you may like) and oats are coated in a just-sweet-enough coating of honey and oil, each crunchy bite punctuated by juicy raisins. I only enjoyed this atop a bowl of plain yogurt for breakfast, but it also could certainly have a place at dessert sprinkled generously over vanilla ice cream. The perfect combination sweet and salty, crunchy and tender, this granola (or some variation thereof) will forever have a place in my heart and pantry.

Mom's Nutty Granola
makes about 7 cups
from Food and Wine

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds
1/2 cup unsalted roasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon hot water
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a bowl, toss the oats, nuts, seeds and wheat germ. In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Whisk in the honey and oil. Stir the liquid into the nuts to coat thoroughly, then spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.

2. Bake the granola in the center of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until nearly dry. Turn off the oven and prop the door open halfway; let the granola cool in the oven, stirring. Toss the granola with the raisins; store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment