Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chef'n Cheese Slicer

I LOVE kitchen gadgets. And as my husband will tell you, I own too many. I have the brands that I can always depend on like Cuisinart and Kitchenaid (I'm a sucker for anything red and Kitchenaid), but I'm open to almost any brand that has a useful and sturdy-looking tool. A few weeks ago on an unintended detour to Williams-Sonoma (I couldn't help myself while I was in the mall) I picked up the Chef'n Cheese Slicer.

 I buy most of my cheese from the farmer's market in big blocks but I always end up cutting slices on an angle. Being an extremely type-A Wisconsin girl, properly preparing cheese is very important, especially when cutting slices for a sandwich. This tool is fantastic! It easily cuts through a big block of cheese and delivers nice, even slices every time. The dial on the side allows you to select from three different thicknesses-I generally use the thinnest for slices for sandwiches and the middle thickness for when I want a bit thicker slice and for slices for grilled cheese. I haven't had occasion to use the thickest setting yet, but with a deep and profound love for cheese, I don't think it will be long before I do. It also makes cutting through big blocks of cheese a breeze! The only downside is that your slices are limited by the width of the slicer, but for most uses the size is just fine with me.

At only around $10, this slicer is a steal! If you eat a lot of cheese it'll actually probably end up saving you money since it will no longer be necessary to pay a premium for sliced cheese instead of buying blocks. I was a little hesistant at first about buying a tool for something I can do myself (although not superbly), but this has been well worth the small investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment