Sunday, November 10, 2013

Blue Cheese and Bacon Dog with Sriracha Mayo


This football season I've been choosing the snacks I make for the Packer game based on the rival city/region and through that process I've learned of many a special regional hot dog. Detroit has the Coney Dog, Cleveland has the Polish Boy, and Chicago (obviously) has the Chicago dog, and I've made and devoured each one with aplomb. But never one to leave well-enough alone, I've been inspired to get creative on my own.

Blue cheese and bacon are a tried-and-true delicious combination, so it's no surprise that they'll make an all-natural, natural casing hot dog even more delicious. But with all that richness, there needs to be distinct elements to cut through it, and that contrast is perfectly achieved by the sharp scallions and spicy Sriracha mayo. Blue cheese can be a very polarizing ingredient, and although I think its funk is an important flavor component, sharp cheddar could be substituted for a version with wider appeal.

There's still a few of my Pecatonica Valley Farm hot dogs left in the freezer, so I doubt this is the last you've seen of my hot dog creations. I've got a fridge packed with winter CSA vegetables and a mind racing with ideas, so it can't be long until some of them come together with my latest favorite culinary canvas.

Blue Cheese and Bacon Dog with Sriracha Mayo
serves 1, easily multipliable

1 hot dog, preferably natural casing and nitrite- and nitrate-free
1 tablespoon mayo
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha, or to taste
1 hot dog bun, preferably whole grain

1 slice thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions


1. Cook hot dog via method of choice (grilling is best, but in a pinch even the microwave will do).


2. Meanwhile, combine mayo and Sriracha in a small bowl and and stir until well-combined. Spread on one side of the hot dog bun.

3. Place cooked hot dog on bun and top with crumbled bacon, scallions, and blue cheese. Serve promptly.


No comments:

Post a Comment