Sunday, February 3, 2013

Multi-Grain Waffles


Although it may seem contradictory, I love trying as many new things as possible and I love routine, my Sunday night ritual being a prime example of this behavior. When the weather's nice, I grill out on Sunday nights. Once it's football season, it's Packer snack day. In that stretch in between, Sunday nights are breakfast for dinner night. Being one of those people who's constantly planning, I don't enjoy Sundays as much as I should because I'm always thinking ahead to Monday morning, but planning a little treat at the end of day helps me to enjoy the whole day more. Today is the last day of the football season, so instead of lamenting the end of football Sundays (though they really ended for me when the Packers lost), let me offer you a wonderful recipe to try if you want to follow in my Sunday night footsteps - Multi-Grain Waffles. I'm always a fan of whole grain recipes over their white flour equivalents, even at the expense of a bit of texture, but these are so light and crispy, you'd never know they were whole grain. The delicate texture and delicious whole grain flavor led me to devour a whole waffle myself, each butter and syrup-kissed bite the perfect union of comfort and nutrition. Extra waffles freeze splendidly, reheating to near-perfection in the toaster or toaster oven for a quick weekday breakfast (I recommend topping them with peanut butter and honey). Although I'll never stop trying new things, this recipe has as earned a spot as my new waffle standard and a launching pad for my own creations.

Multi-Grain Waffles
from Eating Well
serves 8

2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, or cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
4. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment