Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Grilled Glazed Salmon


Although this is most certainly not the prettiest dish I've put together, I'm setting aside my vanity to share this simple and delicious meal. There's always a bag of salmon fillets in the freezer, but I find myself resorting to roasted salmon with Old Bay when I'm sort on time, inspiration, or ingredients. Using a combination of three staple ingredients I adore-mustard, horseradish, and honey-this recipe transforms what could be a pretty mundane salmon fillet into a wonderfully flavorful dinner. The assertive flavors of the Dijon mustard and horseradish are tempered just enough by the sweet and mellow honey (I recommend a milder honey like clover here), blending three common ingredients into a bold, but balanced palate of flavor. This glaze is strong enough to overwhelm a mild fish like tilapia, but the richness of the salmon holds its own against the assertive flavors. Served on a bed of whole wheat couscous with side of simply roasted Brussels Sprouts, this well-rounded and hearty meal is makes it quickly from the kitchen to the dinner table any night of the week. A basic, but delicious recipe, this is sure to make frequent appearances on my dinner table, helping me to keep my resolution of eating fish at least once per week.

Grilled Glazed Salmon
from Food and Wine
serves 4

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
2 tablespoons honey 
Four 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets 
Vegetable oil, for rubbing 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Light a grill. In a small bowl, mix the mustard, horseradish and honey. Rub the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the salmon over moderate heat, skinned side down, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and grill for 3 minutes longer, until the salmon is almost cooked through. Turn the salmon again and spread each fillet with 1 tablespoon of the horseradish glaze. Turn and grill until glazed, about 30 seconds. Serve the remaining glaze on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment