Monday, August 9, 2010

Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt, Lime, and Honey


I make my meal plans for the week in advance, and today was the perfect day for a light, cool side that doesn't involve turning on a single appliance like this one. With temperatures in the 80s and oppressive humidity, I'm in no mood for dense, starchy food. I did make a few changes from Susie Middleton's recipe. She has you peel the cucumber and remove the seeds, which I think is kind of wasteful, although including the very wet center of the cucumber will thin the yogurt dressing (which was fine for how I was eating it today, but I would probably remove the seeds if I was eating it by itself; I would always leave the skin). I also enjoy the contrast between the texture of the skin and center of the cucumber and I think leaving the skin on will help the leftovers hold up better. I also used some of the dark green parts of the scallions, for contrast in flavor and texture. I used 7 oz. of Greek yogurt because I bought a single serving of Fage, which is 7 ounces, and what was I going to do with the extra ounce? Dishes like this are extremely forgiving, though you might want to stick close to original recipe, which I have below. I spooned this salad into pitas with falafel, a great light (and meatless, if you go in for Meatless Mondays) dinner on a hot summer day.

Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt, Lime, and Honey
from Fast, Fresh, and Green by Susie Middleton

serves 4 to 6

2 medium cucumbers (1.25 to 1.5 lbs. total)
1/3 c. thinly sliced scallions (white and light green parts; 3 or 4 medium)
3/4 c. Greek-style yogurt
2 T. chopped fresh mint, plus 1 or 2 fresh sprigs for garnish
1/4 t. packed finely grated lime zest
1 T. plus 1 t. fresh lime juice
2 t. honey
1/4 t. ground coriander
1/4 t. kosher salt
2 T. coarsely chopped toasted pine nuts (optional)

1. Trim the ends off the cucumbers and peel them. First cut them in half crosswise into two shorter pieces for easier handling. Then cut in half in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Slice the cucumbers across into thin half-moons. Put the cucumbers and scallions in a mixing bowl.

2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the yogurt, chopped mint, lime zest, lime juice, honey, coriander, and salt. Spoon the mixture into the bowl of cucumbers and scallions and gently fold and mix with a silicone spatula until the ingredients are well combined. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the mint sprigs and toasted pine nuts (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment