Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Linguine with Smoked Trout and Asparagus


I picked up some smoked trout at the farmer's market this past weekend after I had success using smoked fish in Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Pizza. I didn't find any recipes that struck my fancy, so I went ahead and made up my own.

I used parsley mainly because I like it and always have access to fresh (I grow my own) and parsley seems like it works pretty well in any savory dish, but there are many other fresh herbs that would complement this dish nicely.


Linguine with Smoked Trout and Asparagus

serves 4 to 6

1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
One 13.25-ounce package whole-wheat linguine
2 T. unsalted butter
1 c. heavy cream, half-and-half, or whole milk (depending on how rich you want the sauce to be)
1/4 c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan, if you don't have it)
4 oz. smoked trout, skin removed and cut into small pieces
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
Freshly ground salt and pepper

1. Boil asparagus pieces for 2 to 3 minutes or until just tender. Plunge into an ice bath or rinse with cold water (to stop the asparagus from cooking further) and drain thoroughly.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl.

3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Add asparagus and toss until coated, about 1 minute. Stir in cream and cheese; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Add smoked trout, stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Top with fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment