Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shrimp, Roasted Red Pepper, Corn, and Feta Salad

Feeling like we're well and truly in spring has reinvigorated my passion for and creativity with main course salads. Main course salads are commonplace in my diet year-round, but once spring arrives they become an absolute staple. Salads are what I most commonly feed myself when I'm only cooking for one, but my husband will enjoy salads (like this one) with me from time to time as well. When I'm flying solo I typically follow the basic formula of dried/fresh fruit, nuts/seeds, and cheese, but with my meat-and-potatoes husband I almost always make sure some meat makes it to the plate as well.

You can't beat a meal like this for a busy work night. None of these ingredients need cooking and barely any prep work is required. The simple combination of a pile of fresh greens and corn, accented by roasted red peppers, perfectly pungent feta cheese, and a generous helping of shrimp makes for a well rounded and almost summery salad. Needing only some crusty bread with butter and a glass of wine to feel even a bit decadent, this meal is an exceptional way to reward yourself after a long day at work or throw together a quick date night at home.

Shrimp, Roasted Red Pepper, Corn, and Feta Salad
serves 2

4 ounces baby greens or spinach
1 roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh corn or frozen corn, degrosted
8 ounces cooked salad shrimp, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Salad dressing, for serving

1. Divide spinach evenly between two large places, topping each with half of the roasted pepper, corn, shrimp, and feta cheese. Top with dressing of choice, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment