Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers

While I've taken a temporary hiatus from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way recipes, I've come across an unexpectedly wonderful new source of veggie burger recipes-Martha Stewart! While I can't say I'm a fan of Martha Stewart as a person, her brand rarely disappoints, this recipe being no exception. Quinoa is something that I keep around all the time-it cooks quickly, is a complete protein, and I've come to really love its unique texture and flavor. Combining quinoa with beans make these burgers filling, but the carrot and scallion keeps them from being too dense. The crisp cucumbers and acidic lemon yogurt dressing are the perfect fresh contrast to the smoky, hearty patties and need only a side salad to become the perfect meal. I thought I'd be taking a longer break from weekly veggie burger experiments, but I found myself missing the easy, healthy lunches at work in just the first week I failed to make a batch of veggie burgers during the weekend. Even though this warm weather has already necessitated many meaty burgers on the grill, I won't be turning my back on veggie burgers any time soon.
Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers
from Martha Stewart
makes 4 burgers

1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
1 medium carrot, cut in large chunks
6 scallions, thinly sliced
15 ounces great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Coarse salt
Ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 pitas (each 6 inches)
1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced diagonally

1. In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil; add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.

2. In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, half the scallions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.

3. Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties (dip hands in water to prevent sticking). If too soft, refrigerate 10 minutes to firm. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.

4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and the remaining scallions; season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers in pita topped with cucumber and yogurt sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment