Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baked Steel Cut Oats with Apples, Blueberries, and Walnuts


Ever since I discovered how to make steel-cut oats in the oven, I've making them for breakfast once a week, usually on Sunday morning. I use whatever fruit and nuts I happen to be in the mood for and when I saw the handful of fresh blueberries left in the fridge, I knew they'd be perfect in baked steel cut oats. The juicy blueberries pop when you bite into them, and are a great contrast to tart, slightly crunchy apples and nutty oats. I tossed some toasted walnuts on top for some richness and crunch, drizzling homemade blueberry syrup over top just to gild the lily a bit more and creating the perfect lazy weekend breakfast with a maple latte and the paper.
 
Baked Steel Cut Oats with Apples, Blueberries, and Walnuts

serves 1

1 small apple, diced
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon blueberry syrup, honey, or maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place diced apple and blueberries in the bottom of an individual-sized oven proof dish.

2. Pour steel cut oats over the fruit, then add milk and bake for 30 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven and top with toasted walnuts and blueberry syrup. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is fabulous and so easy! I made it this morning with apple, blueberry and banana!! Yum!! Also added a little ground flax

    ReplyDelete