Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cheesy Baked Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes


A quick and easy side- or main-dish courtesy of the April 2010 issue of Real Simple. I love spinach and artichoke dip and this is almost spinach and artichoke dip on pasta. I'm always looking for interesting and easy dishes I can make for dinner after work to help me avoid the temptation of convenience foods like frozen pizza.

This dish doesn't have as much sauce as I'd like so I think next time I'll add some milk, sour cream, or cream cheese or some combination of them. Even as is, it's delicious!

Cheesy Baked Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes
from Real Simple, April 2010

8 oz. mezzi rigatoni or some other short pasta (I used whole wheat penne rigate)
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and quartered
1 9-ounce package creamed spinach, thawed
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
2 c. grated mozzarella
1/4 t. black pepper


1. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and return it to the pot. Heat broiler.

2. Add the artichoke hearts, creamed spinach, Parmesan, half the mozzarella, and 1/4 t. pepper to the pasta and toss to combine.

3. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2-quart (or 8-inch square) broilerproof baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Broil until the cheese is browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds delicious! I might try it out sometime! Now I just have to figure out how to convert everything :)

    ReplyDelete