Sunday, December 6, 2009
from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
4 ounces dried spaghetti
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Return spaghetti to hot saucepan and keep warm.
2. Stir butter into hot past until melted. Stir in egg and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano; heat through.
4. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese on the bottom and up the sides of pasta crust. Spread meat mixture over cottage cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. To serve, cut into wedges.