Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies


I wasn't a big fan of oatmeal-raisin cookies as a kid, but as an adult I've grown to like them quite a bit, as long as they're homemade. It doesn't hurt that I can delude myself into thinking they're at least a little bit healthy since they have whole grains (oatmeal) and fruit (raisins). These cookies are a slight twist on the traditional oatmeal-raisin cookie, courtesy of Martha Stewart.

Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
from Martha Stewart's Cookies

Ingredients
for the cookies:
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 c. chunky style applesauce*
1.5 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1.25 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. coarse salt
1 c. golden raisins**

for the icing:
1.75 c. confectioners' sugar
3 T. pure maple syrup
3 T. water

*I didn't have any chunky applesauce, so I used some smooth homemade applesauce.
**I didn't have any golden raisins, so I just used regular raisins.

Step 1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until combined. Add egg and applesauce, mix until well-blended, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in raisins.
Step 2. Using a 1.5-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are golden and just set, 13 to 15 minutes, rotating half-way through. Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack over parchment paper to cool completely.
Step 3. To make the icing, whisk confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, and water until smooth. Drizzle over cookies and let set. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to three days.

These cookies are wonderfully chewy and soft, but I'm not a big fan of the icing. It doesn't have as strong a maple flavor as I would like, as I love all things maple. Next time I might skip it, although my husband likes the extra sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment